Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Mice in the kitchen

Nuestra casa no es su casa (Our house is not your house). At least if you're a mouse. Yes, we have mice in our kitchen. Not many, but enough to allow us to bond together fighting a common enemy. The mice have been a mixed blessing. The fact that they seem to think our pan cupboard is their place to have fiestas and dance around is not so cool. But the bonding experiences we have had because of the mice have actually been a blessing. Mice a blessing? Let me explain.
For example, the other night while we were praying, a mouse squeaked really loud in the kitchen, loud enough that we all heard it, stopped praying and started laughing. After we finished praying, we went out into the kitchen. The mouse, started by the appearance of three gigantic humans, scurried in plain sight down, off the counter, and behind the stove. After which, we bonded by listening to Carrie's stories of past mouse adventures.
Another night, Shannon and I decided to try to trap the mice using a plate, some peanut butter and a bowl. The idea was that we'd wait for the mice to come out and start eating the peanut butter on the plate, then I'd slam the bowl over top of them and catch them. Well...we didn't catch any mice, but we did catch some laughs and Shannon got some fun video footage.
Our other comrade in arms against the mice is Marga. That is where, at least from my perspective, the mice have really been a blessing. Marga is a woman in the church who comes and helps us out in the house. She has done so for years and it has been a blessing for her to have the job and the money, as well as to build relationships with many of the missionaries. But for me, a servant-gifted person who is used to running around like crazy trying to do everything, it is really weird to have a maid. I really want to be more friends with her than anything else. And, lo and behold, in the beginning of my term, I don't have any responsibilities, in order to allow me to adjust to Cusco. Since Shannon's learning Spanish and Carrie's teaching English in summer school, I'm the only one right now who is in this situation of not having any specific job. I was a little discouraged about it last night, but God reminded me of Marga and I really think the next few weeks are to be a time of bonding with her and learning from her while we are the only two here and before I get really busy with school and church stuff. The mice have given us something to laugh about, a common enemy against which to fight, and a common place to pour our creative energies. That is a recipe for bonding.
So, yes the mice are a pain and yes, I'm ready to see them be gone. But in a way, I'm thankful for the mice and the opportunity God has given me through them to see Himself at work, to teach me and to build relationships with those around me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bethany! So glad to hear you're there safely, settling in, and feeling at home (it sounds like it). Love you tons. I've been praying for you a lot. Email me with any prayer requests you want me to send out. LYBTAS
Steph

Anonymous said...

Bethany, I love how you are so positive even about mice! Well I guess God made them too! :) Angela