Thursday, February 21, 2008

Eres Todopoderoso - You are All-Powerful

Things in Peru don't always happen exactly as they happen in the US. On Sunday after church, I was asked to play violin in a wedding this Saturday. Not only was I asked less than a week before the event, but I was also asked by Bany, the groom's niece, not by either of the people actually getting married. So I asked her what I should play. "Oh, whatever. Something you know." After some more probing, I discovered that classical was the preferred genre. Something classical...hm...
Last night we had practice. I got to the church, toting my violin and sheet music for Canon in D, only to discover that I was one of 6 people either playing or singing in the wedding. Everyone else was there to practice the worship songs (which also apparently were left up to the discretion of the musicians). After finally deciding on some songs, Bany was asking me if I knew them. This was my first clue that I might be in for more than I bargained for. Unfortunately, I didn't know 2 of the songs. However, I learned them fairly well throughout the course of the night as we practiced them several times each. Which was a good thing. So apparently, I'm playing during the worship time too because, according to Bany, it doesn't make sense for me to be up there and then leave the stage in the middle of everything. I hope this is okay...
At the end of our practice, we decided to play a song that I have loved to sing since I was here last time. It's called Eres Todopoderoso. The chorus goes like this:
You are all-powerful
You are great and majestic
You are mighty and unconquerable
And there is no one else like You.
After playing soft, peaceful wedding songs all night, we let loose. And as I was standing there, playing for all I was worth, the voice of my violin mixing with Spanish worship, an electric guitar, a bass and drums, playing for the sheer joy of playing and worshiping, all of a sudden I had a worship moment when I knew that God was truly there and so much bigger than I often realize. I was overwhelmed with the sense of being back here, of worshiping God in San Jeronimo again with my Peruvian family. And I realized that only God could have brought me back here. Only He could have kept the vision alive in my heart. Only He is big and powerful enough to fulfill His purposes in and through us. Only He is great and majestic enough to do all that He has done, not only in my life but in each and every one of our lives. Only God is todopoderoso.
And then I came home and sat out in my backyard on the swingset with my roommates, layered up against the cold, and watched a beautiful lunar eclipse. Never mind that the clouds covered it up partway through. It was still beautiful and a wonderful reminder again of the power and majesty of our God to create something that intricately balanced and amazing.
La unica razon de mi adoracion eres Tu, mi Jesus...
(You are the only reason I worship, Jesus...)