Monday, November 22, 2010

Project Read More English!

Does this image look familiar?
Have you ever looked at a stack of magazines like this and thought there was no hope for them?
Well......think again! Why not send all those dust-collecting magazines to Peru?
I have recently discovered that my students really enjoy reading kids' magazines. The difficulty I've found is that while my students' interest level is that of a normal 4th-6th grader, their reading level is much lower, since English is their second language. Therefore, it's difficult to keep their attention with traditional books in the classroom (Note: I am talking in this sense of free reading books that they can read in their spare time, when they get done early with something, in reading groups, etc. I do use books in my class as well!) While they are ready in thought to tackle a Chronicles of Narnia-sized book, they can feasibly independently read a simple chapter book. This creates a bit of a difficulty. And this is where magazines come in. They're not the answer for everything, but they are cool, appropriate for my students' age level and formatted in bite-sized chunks that are not so overwhelming to read as a thick novel. And yet they're still reading, which is what I want them to do...
So that's where you come in. I'm posting this to ask for any back issues of magazines (particularly kids' magazines) you want to get rid of. Magazines geared to adults are nice to cut up for pictures and things, but for reading purposes, kids' magazines are much more attractive to and easy for them. Possible titles could be (though NOT by any means limited to these): Highlights, Club House, Zoobooks, Kids Discover, National Geographic Kids, Ranger Rick, Weekly Reader, Spider, Cricket, etc.....
If you have any magazines you would like to donate to the cause, please contact Angela Kline or I (see email addresses below). Thanks so much and blessings to you all!
Bethany

kline_angela@yahoo.com
betania129@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Alli said...

Thanks for the tip!