Thursday, June 2, 2011

Living between Two Worlds

For those of you who are not aware of this, I am in the States!
I arrived back on May 27 and am living in Lancaster city for the summer with some friends, reconnecting, recharging and getting ready to go back for another three years in Peru. I'd really like to get together with as many people as possible during this time, so hopefully I'll be able to see all of you this summer.
Being a missionary is a unique position to be in. There is a part of me that is in two worlds and I'm trying to learn how to live between the two of them. There is a part of me that is American. I look it, I speak it, and I think it and I love my people here. There is also a part of me that is Peruvian. I speak it, I think it and I love my people there also. (I don't look it yet. They tell me I should dye my hair. I'm not convinced yet.)
So, for those of you who wonder "What does it look like or feel like to live between two worlds?", let me give you a glimpse.
It means....
... people threatening to tie you up and keep you in one place while people in the other place threaten punishment if you don't visit. And you want both.
... leaving home to go home and missing home while you're home.
... leaving family to go see family and missing family while you're with family.
... being surrounded by open arms. One set is open, releasing you while the other set is open, receiving you. And then they turn around and release you again to the other set of arms, which is open to receive you back.
... always wondering, no matter which world you are in, what is happening in the other world.
... two sets of favorite foods that you crave while you're away.
... doing things that seem a little off-kilter because "that's how you do it in the other world".
... constantly comparing things in your mind between the two worlds, no matter where you are.

In another vein, I feel a little bit like I am living Acts 2 right now, where everyone shared everything in common. I feel so blessed being back in Lancaster, among my family here again, enjoying seeing everyone after so long. Thank you all for the warm welcome back, for listening and loving, for understanding, for spending time, for doing and for just being. You are a blessing.

No comments: